Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Be Converted and Become as a Little Child


Do you like to watch children playing? I love to just sit and watch and listen to kids as they play. I love to hear the laughter as they run and play their games. I really enjoy hearing the laughter of children, as it echos through the day bouncing off the buildings and filling the air.

This morning, as I was driving my bus route, I watched a young girl walk to the edge of her porch. It was a beautiful morning with just a touch of fall in the air. The little girl might have been about eight years old. She was wearing a backpack and was obviously waiting for the school bus to come by and pick her up. Instead of stepping down each step, she hopped down each one! It was just a small hop, not a jump, and it was done in a casual, carefree manner. Before she had reached the bottom step we had passed her house and she was out of sight.

I couldn’t help to note the difference in the manner in which she went down those stairs and the way I would have gone down them. Her descent was light, carefree and full of anticipation for the day. Mine would have been slower, burdened and wishing I was staying home.

Oh to be a kid again! They don’t walk down steps. They hop! They don’t walk down the street. They skip! Kids don’t walk to the bus. They run! They aren’t worried about what could happen. They aren’t concerned with the weather. They aren’t fretting about the economy. They couldn’t care less if it rains today or tomorrow. Their main focus is on right now and enjoying this moment of life.

On the other hand I dread going down the steps. The question runs through my mind, “Is this going to make my knee hurt?” I really don’t want to walk down the road, the question on my mind is, “How is this going to benefit me?” I drag to the bus because I would rather be going somewhere that is more fun and less demanding. I worry about tomorrow. I am fretting about the economy, especially mine. My focus tends to be on what might happen or on the complexities of the probabilities of the maybes.

A portion of scripture came to my mind. I remembered Jesus saying, “. . . become as little children.” Now my interest is tweaked! I knew God was trying to speak to me and now He had my attention. I have heard, and probably made, many references to becoming as a little child, full of innocence and faith. Was this what I was hearing from God?

I have found that it is always good for me to look up the passage and read it afresh. Being old and feeble minded I have a tendency to forget the whole passage and only remember a portion. Often I don’t even get that right. I have also learned that by finding and reading the passage again, it gives God the opportunity to bring something brand new to my attention from the passage. This is just what happened when I located and read Matthew 18:3, “And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.”

Jesus is giving His disciples a lesson in humility. He was asked who would be greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Instead of listing all of the great deeds and accomplishments that must be accomplished, Jesus turns and calls a little child. Rather than cataloging the need of a great family tree, money in the bank and extreme intelligence, Jesus takes a child onto His lap. He tells the crowd they need to be converted and become as a little child.

Why? Why would he use a little child as an example of humility? Why not use someone or something else? Why use a child?

Who understands the simplicity of trust? A little child does. They trust their parents for everything. A child doesn’t worry about food, clothes, housing or transportation because they trust. They don’t feel like they have to handle it themselves because they trust. They don’t worry or fret about tomorrow because they trust mom and dad to take care of tomorrow. All of the worry and fretting is something they learn later, but as a little child they just trust.

The Apostle Peter encourages us to cast ALL of our cares upon Jesus because He cares for us. (1Peter 5:7) Trusting Him with our concerns is a sign of humility. Giving them to Him to take care of is a sign of humbleness. Recognizing that His grace is more than enough is truly trusting. (2 Corinthians 12:9) Becoming dependent upon Him rather than self-sufficient speaks of submission. Taking the way of the child is a requirement.

I need a conversion in my life. There needs to be a transformation to take place in my mind and in my heart. My mind needs to be renewed and I need to stop thinking as an adult thinks. The world with all of its pressures and agendas has influenced my thinking and I need to be converted once again. I need to become as a little child.

While I was writing this thought, Melinda, my beautiful and wonderful wife, came into my study. In her hand she held a mixing bowl and a spatula. Without saying a word she walked up and handed both of them to me. Immediately I knew what I was suppose to do. I became as the little boy I once was, who loved to clean the bowl after mom had mixed a cake. Everything came to a halt as I laughed and went right to work, enjoying the taste of the cake batter and the opportunity to be a kid again.

How often does Jesus try to interrupt our busy lives to give us the opportunity to just enjoy being a kid again? It’s conversion time!

It’s just a thought!

No comments: