Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Sword of the Spirit

The Sword of the Spirit

History knows the Roman short sword as the “sword that conquered the world.” One of the most easily recognized swords of any era is a Roman short sword. The sword was known for its short, double-edged 20” blade with a diamond–point tip. The Bible distinguishes the Roman double-edged sword, for its awesome powerfulness as a weapon, by using it, as an example, of the Word of God in Hebrews 4:12. This sword is also a critical part of the Biblical description of the “Full Armor of God.”

They tell great stories of Roman soldiers’ fierce bravery in battle (never retreating). Nevertheless, historians have shown there was a strategic fighting advantage behind this resolve. In the midst of combat, your sword and shield were vital. The first person to turn and retreat had his backside unprotected and the Roman short sword was the perfect weapon to deliver a fatal quick forward thrust.

In speaking, to us about the Armor of God, Paul instructs us to “take . . . the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God”: (Eph. 6:17 KJV). Of all the parts of the Armor of God, the sword of the Spirit is the only weapon that we have. All of the other parts are for protection but the sword is the weapon for us to use in attacking the enemy or to fight back with.

The writer of Hebrews gives us a brief description of how powerful the Word of God is. “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” (Heb 4:12 KJV)

He speaks of the Word of God being quick or alive. The Apostle Peter tells us that we are born again by the word of God which is alive and is eternal (1 Peter 1:23). The Hebrew writer also gives us another reason to use the sword of the Spirit and that is it is powerful!

When I hear the word “powerful” I think of something that is strong or forceful. However, as I began to study the word “powerful,” I also found it to have the following meanings. It is to be active, effectual and able. It means to be powerful in action. The word, “powerful,” comes from the Greek word “energes” which is where our word energy comes from. The word “work” comes from the same root word.

So, when the writer of Hebrews is describing the Word of God as powerful, he is telling us that it is “full of power and is able to achieve results.” In other words, if I use the word of God in Spiritual battle, it is going to accomplish what needs to be done.

Another term used to describe the Word of God is it is “sharper than any two-edged-sword.” He is speaking of it being sharp enough to cut in a single stroke rather than hacking away at it.

Several years ago a man attended a Church I pastored. This man worked in a chicken plant, for more than twenty years then, as a knife sharpener. I have never, before or since, seen a knife as sharp as this man could get them. He also made knives and sold them. We would bring our pocket knives or kitchen knives to him and he would sharpen them for us. My boys and I had a saying that a knife wasn’t sharp unless it was “Staley Sharp.” Staley was his last name. A kitchen knife that was “Staley Sharp” would cut through a thick piece of meat as if it were nothing.

The Word of God will slice through the problem no matter how difficult it seems. The writer of Hebrews tells us that it is so sharp it can separate the soul and spirit. It can divide the joint from the marrow of the bone. It can tell the difference between the thought and the intent of the heart. In other words, the things that we can’t separate, the Word of God can separate. Those things that we have trouble defining. The Word of God will define. Where a fine line needs cut. The Word of God will cut it.

Why is this important? Is this going to make a difference or help in my life? Will this enable me to be an over comer in battle? Yes! How often have I needed an answer, it seemed there were no answers at all, only to have the Word of God give clarity to the situation? The question of right and wrong comes up and there’s a “fine line” between the two. However, the Word of God makes a distinction and I know which way to go.

I remember an incident several years ago. God had been dealing with my heart to do something that I really did not want to do. I had a tremendous burden that I had carried for several years and many dreams that had yet to occur. If I did what I felt God was telling me to do, it would affect my family, my church and many others. I knew I would face great opposition and questions that I couldn’t answer, if I followed the direction I felt God leading me.

After much prayer and seeking clarity for this directive from God I came across a passage of scripture. I don’t know if it would ever speak to someone else the way it spoke to me but as I read it I knew what I had to do. The Word of God cut away all of the confusion and doubt in the situation.

In the summer of 1990 I was sitting in a Sunday School class while on vacation. They had diagnosed my father with Parkinson’s disease about a year prior to this time and I was dealing with a lot of confusion in my mind. Dad was a great man of faith. He was sixty years old and just now thinking of retirement. He wanted to travel some and be a blessing to Churches with teaching and preaching. Dad and Mom planned to enjoy spending time with their grandchildren. However, now all of those plans had changed. He was now dealing with a life debilitating disease. My confusion came because of these different changes. I also had questions because, as I said, Dad was a man of great faith. I had seen him pray for people and God instantly healed them. Yet, we had prayed for him several times and nothing had changed. As I sat there that day and the Pastor taught a Bible lesson, we read a passage from the Bible as part of the lesson. Although the lesson had nothing to do with the questions that I was dealing with, this passage cut right to the heart of my questions. The answer was made clear to me in an instant. Through the following years I held onto the Word I had received from God.

In talking about the Full Armor of God, we have referred to the enemy attacking with the spirit of fear. We have established how the different pieces of armor are effective in protecting us from these attacks of the enemy. One thing that we must realize is we cannot remain on the defense all of the time. The shield of faith, the breastplate of righteousness and the other parts of the armor are all defensive in their protection. Yet, if we are on the defense too long, we will become weary and will eventually fall.

I like to listen to football games on the radio. It isn’t something I do often, but a couple of Saturdays during the season I will listen to my favorite college team play. Often, during a game, I have heard the announcers say, “They have got to get the defense off the field because they are wearing out!” I have yet to ever hear them say, “They have got to get the offense off the field they are wearing out!” Why is this? Because, when you are on offensive, and you are scoring points, you are in control of the game. When you are on defense you are trying to anticipate the opponent’s next move and react accordingly. You are trying to resist and push back against the thrust of the opponent.

The same is true in spiritual warfare. If you remain on the defense, you will wear out! You are constantly trying to anticipate the next move of the enemy. You are pushing back against his advances, constantly resisting him. This is why the sword of the Spirit is so important to us. It gives us the ability to attack the enemy! We can go on the offensive and take control of the battle and we will be victorious.


The sword is also used as a defensive tool. It can block a blow by the enemy and deliver a blow. We see this happening in the account of Jesus being tempted in the wilderness. Twice, Satan approached Jesus and tempted Him with the temptation of turning stones to bread and casting Himself off the pinnacle of the temple. Both times, Jesus used the Word of God to block the attack of the enemy. The third temptation Satan tempted Jesus with possessions if He would bow and worship him. This time Jesus attacked by saying, “Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.” (Matt 4:10 KJV) In other word’s Jesus said, “Get out of here! The scripture says that you must worship the Lord your God. Worship only Him.” You will also notice that Satan left Jesus then.

Paul tells us in Romans 10:17 that our faith comes by hearing the Word of God. I have found it to be very effective to read or quote scriptures aloud when I am in warfare. As I read or quote the passage I am hearing it, which in turn builds my faith. Take your Bible in your hand and begin to read scripture that builds your faith to deal with your situation! Have victory and be an overcomer.

Personalize the scripture as you are reading it. For example, as passage that means a lot to me and has helped me in many battles is Psalms 149:4-9. Which reads:

“For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation.
5 Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds.
6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand;
7 To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;
8 To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron;
9 To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.” (Ps 149:4-9 KJV)

When I am in battle I like to read this way:

For the LORD taketh pleasure in ME: he will beautify ME with salvation.
5 SO I WILL be joyful in glory: I WILL sing aloud upon MY bed.
6 The high praises of God be in MY mouth, and a twoedged sword in MY hand;
7 To execute vengeance AND punishments upon MY ENEMY;
8 To bind the PRINCIPALITIES, POWERS AND RULERS OF DARKNESS with chains, and with fetters of iron;
9 To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour I have AS his saint. I WILL Praise the LORD! Ps 149:4-9 KJV (NOTE: All of the capitalized words are added or changed by me to make it personal).

I can be victorious and have an overcoming life! That is the will and plan of God for me, as a child of God. This leads us to the last of our resources, which is prayer.

No comments: