Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Struggle of the Cocoon

I read a story a while back that really struck a chord in my spirit. I came across it again today and felt to share it with you. Hopefully it might put some things into proper perspective in your life.
A man came across a butterfly cocoon. Knowing what is inside his interest is captured and he sits watching it for a while. As luck would have it while he is watching the cocoon gets an opening and right in front of his eyes the butterfly begins the struggle of leaving the cocoon.
Watching for several hours, the man observes as the butterfly struggles to get out. Then it seems to have stopped making any progress at all. It seemed that the butterfly would be unable to go any further. The man takes scissors and snips off the remaining bit of cocoon. The butterfly is then able to emerge with ease. However, the butterfly is unable to fly. Its body is swollen and it has small shriveled wings.
The man continued to watch, expecting at any time the butterfly to stretch his wings and fly. Surely at any moment the wings would enlarge themselves and support the body which would contract with time. Neither happened, in fact the butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings.
What the man did not know was that the restricting cocoon and the struggle required of the butterfly to get through the opening were God’s way of forcing the fluid from the body into the wings so that it would be ready for flight once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.
Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our lives. If God allowed us to go through without any obstacles, it would cripple us. We would not be as strong as we need to be. We would never fly.
Paul said three times he asked the Lord to take away his problem. Each time the reply from God was, "My gracious favor is all you need. My power works best in your weakness." Paul went on to say, "Now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may work through me . . . for when I am weak, then am I strong." (2Corinthians 12:8-10)
Maybe this poem will help bring it into a better focus . . .
I asked for Strength, and God gave me
Difficulties to make me strong.
I asked for Wisdom, and God gave me
Problems to solve.
I asked for Prosperity, and God gave me
Brain and Brawn to work.
I asked for Courage, and God gave me
Danger to overcome.
I asked for Love, and God gave me
Troubled people to help.
I asked for Favors, and God gave me
Opportunities.
I received nothing I wanted, but I
Received everything I needed!
Author Unknown
It is the problems, the difficulties that will better prepare us for the victories of life. When the problem and test come our way, accept it is a divine test which has been sent by God. Then rely on Him to provide the power for the struggle and watch as He takes you to new heights!
It’s just a thought! God Bless . . .

No comments: