Thursday, May 27, 2010

In Memory of Rose Daniel


I am reminded of a statement made by the Apostle Paul, "Seeing we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses let us run with patience the race before us." That is not a direct quote but close enough. This past week another "Witness" has finished her race and is standing on the sidelines cheering us on.
I will never forget meeting Rose Daniel for the first time forty years ago this next December. I had heard so much about her and her family. They were taking a Home Bible Study and after each lesson Mike and Margie Power would come to our house and update us on what had taken place. Then one Sunday morning, in December 1970, Rose and her family came to Church. We were so excited to have a new family visiting the Church. Then I found out that I knew their son, David, having gone to school with him for three school years. David and I soon became close friends.
Just a few weeks later Rose and Slim, along with others from the Bible Study group, were water baptized in Jesus Name. A few months later, in March, she received the baptism of the Holy Ghost. Rose began a different life than she had lived before.
Early in her relationship with Jesus Christ Rose developed a love for the Word of God. She loved good preaching. She loved good Bible teaching. As time passed, this love grew. I remember a Fellowship meeting not long after Rose had received the Holy Ghost. She had been studying her Bible trying to understand the Oneness of God. During this Fellowship meeting in Arcata, Brother John McDonald was preaching and began to talk of the Oneness of God. I was sitting behind Rose and suddenly, in a loud voice, she said, "I see it! I see it!" She had received a wonderful revelation of who Jesus Christ really is.
As a young person I spent a lot of time in Rose’s house. David and I were good friends so I was in and out frequently. I soon found out that Rose was a wonderful cook and so I tried to take advantage of that discovery. She was the only person who could bake a Blackberry Cobbler that I liked, and oh could she bake one!
I was a young man, just thirty-three when the United Pentecostal Church of Rio Dell asked me to be their pastor. I had grown up in this Church. Like I said, I hung out with David so his family knew me. I had some deep reservations about becoming Pastor to people who knew me "when" and could remember "what." However, I must say that not one time did I ever get the feeling that Rose Daniel did not look to me as her Pastor with honor and respect. I am sure there must have been occasions when she wondered if that "young fella" knows what he is doing, but she never voiced any doubts she might have had.
I was going through some pictures this week trying to find a good picture of Rose. I have stacks of them and it took several hours. Mainly because I was having to stop and wipe away tears and sometimes just cry. The memories were so precious. I was looking for some good candid shots of her. To my amazement I only found three. What I did find, however, spoke volumes of this precious woman. They were pictures of her worshiping her God. Her hands were raised! Tears were streaming down her face as she prayed as only Sister Rose could pray! Pictures of her with her hand on the shoulder of a fellow saint as she prayed with them. Encouraging them to keep praying until they received what they were needing from God.
Oh, I will never forget, in fact I can hear it right now in my mind, how she could pray and touch God. She had a voice that would ring with authority and familiarity as she would begin to pray in the Spirit, interceding for others before the throne of God. She wasn’t a stranger to God, you could tell they were on first name basis. In fact the song I remember her singing so often said it for her, "He’s my Lord and my God! He’s not just a stranger to me . . ."
There were several times when I would call the Daniel family, while I was their Pastor, to ask them to pray about a need. I recall one time feeling fearful and bewildered. I knew I had to have someone help me touch God. I called Sister Rose and just said that I needed her to pray about a situation with me, would she pray? There were no questions asked, just the assurance she was headed for her altar. What a peace that came over my soul knowing she was praying.
Melinda and I were talking one night and she reminded me that Sister Rose had been her Sunday School teacher for several years. I asked her, already knowing the answer, if she was a good teacher. Melinda, with teary eyes, told me of the love and dedication Sister Rose had for her class. She was teaching Junior Girls about the love of Jesus Christ and the importance of making Him first in their lives.
In many ways Rose was full of surprises. She was a private person. Yet she opened her home, for several years, to the Adult Sunday School Class to meet there each week. She took in a young man, Doug Giest, when he was in need of a place to live and she made him part of her family. She was giving to others, adopting some, mothering others. Rose was a precious lady. She was full of fun, a person who loved to laugh. She was a great friend with deep loyalty.
I, again, think of what must be going on in heaven. Another "Warrior" has gone home. There is a "song of sweetest praise drifting back from heavens shore" telling us that it is well worth the fight. The voice of Rose Daniel is assuring us that it is well worth every mile and every trial. Yes, there is a "Great Cloud of Witnesses" saying come on home! Sister Rose Daniel, we love you and will see you soon.

No comments: