Friday, December 26, 2008

Stupid is His Name and Folly is His Game

Have you ever read a story in the Bible that isn’t real familiar, but becomes one of your favorites after you have read it? Maybe you have heard the name of the Bible character many times, but have failed to read the story. Or, maybe it has been so long since you heard or read the story you have just forgotten how it went. I have that happen to me frequently. I hear a name or a reference and find that I have to go back and read the story to refresh what really happened.

I remember several years ago my wife, Melinda, and I were having a discussion. It was late and the house was quiet enabling us to have some time to just talk. I don’t really remember exactly what we were talking about but it obviously must have been concerning something we were dealing with as pastor because I made a statement that caught my own attention and I have never forgotten it. I said, “Spirits beget like spirits.” I then made reference to a Bible story.

Now Melinda and I have both been raised in Church and had excellent Sunday school teachers. Both of our fathers were very good Bible teachers. Yet Melinda said, “You know, I am not sure I know that story.” My reply was, “I can remember parts of it, but it has been so long I am not sure I know it all that well.” It isn’t a story you hear preached every week. In fact, I am not sure I have heard it preached, except the next week when I, of course, used it. What makes this even a bit more ironic is our daughter is named after the main character in the story, Abigail.

I am talking about the story of Abigail and David. The word Abigail means “source of joy.” When you read the story of Abigail you will find that her name fit her. However, let me share what we found in the story that night after I got my Bible and we read the story together. It is found in 1 Samuel 25.

David, with six hundred men is living in caves and the mountains, hiding from Saul and his army. Living the life of an outlaw means you have to live off the land, which at times can be difficult, especially with some many people. While they were in the region of Carmel they protected some shepherds and their flocks. They did this kind deed without taking anything in return. The flocks belonged to a man by the name of Nabal who the Bible describes as a churlish man which means to be cruel and obstinate pr pigheaded. His wife and servants described him as being a son or man of Belial which means wicked.

When David and his men were in need of food, David sent men to Nabal to see if they could receive some help in return for the protection they had provided his men and his flocks. Instead of kindness, Nabal was angry they would even dare to ask. He went so far as to insult David. When David’s men returned with the message from Nabal, David himself became angry. He called together four hundred of his men, armed them and set out to take what he needed from Nabal, including lives.

Now a servant heard all that had taken place and went to Abigail to inform her of the eminent danger that was headed their way. Abigail’s response was to gather provisions in hopes of making amends for her husband’s insolence. She intercepted David on the road and fell at his feet. She explained to him that Nabal was not the most intelligent person in the world. In fact she said his name is Nabal, which means stupid, and folly, or wickedness, was with him. Nabal is his name and folly is his game?

After her explanation and gift, David blessed Abigail and sent her home. He told her that he was listening to her advice. He and his men then returned to the mountains. Upon her return home Abigail finds Nabal having a big party. The next morning when he has sobered up she informs him of what she has done and the danger which she spared them of. Nabal becomes so angry he obviously has a stroke or heart attack and is in a coma for ten days before he dies.

Now comes the beautiful part of the story. When David hears what has taken place and that Nabal has died he sends for Abigail. He wants her to be his wife. She shows, again, a sweet spirit in accepting this offer.
What I had noticed in the story was the reactions of the different people to the attitudes or the spirits of others. Let me give you examples.

  • David shows kindness to the herdsmen of Nabal and they in return show kindness to him
  • Nabal is angry, for no apparent reason and the response from David is anger also.
  • Abigail blesses David, showing a repentant and humble spirit. David reacts with repentance and blessings. He was going to kill Nabal and changed his mind.
  • David shows a sweet and caring spirit to Abigail in asking her to be his wife. She responds again with humbleness.

I have found this principle to hold true in my relationship with people. I have found myself reacting to the anger of other people with anger myself. Later I would wonder why I am angry. I have also found myself responding to a kind sweet spirit with kindness on my part. Spirits begat like spirits!

So why am I bringing this out? I don’t know do you ever have to deal with attitudes or spirits that bring you to the brink of frustration? Do you ever have situations that you are dealing with and you are wondering why everyone involved always end up angry and there is no resolution? Could it be that spirits are bearing like spirits? Could you be causing anger in the people you are dealing with because of your anger? Could you be responding in anger because of their anger? The answer to these and other interesting questions inquiring minds want to know!

Let’s take some lessons from Abigail. She defuses a very volatile condition with simple submission and humbleness. She did not justify the wrong in any way. In fact she called it as she saw it, “The man is stupid, his name says it all!” But she was humble and repentant, she was sorry for the actions of Nabal. In response, even though he had murder in his eye, David the giant slayer is stopped without a bowstring being drawn or a sword brandished.

What would happen in our marriages if we responded with that type of a spirit? You say that you are in the right. A man wisely said, “Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?” Abigail is the one who was mightily blessed in this whole turn of events. She is the one who ended up marrying the King. If I can just keep my spirit right what could happen?

When I have done wrong, or had wrong committed against me, what would happen if I humbled myself in repentance? Repentance both to God and the other person involved. I know, maybe I was justified in man’s eyes! I know, maybe I was the one who was done wrong! But that isn’t real the question! The real question is this “Is being right or justified worth the loss of a friend or the relationship of a loved one?” Spirits beget like spirits!

How much more effective could we be in reaching the “unchristian” if we have a sweet and humble spirit? I have seen so often an attitude of superiority even arrogance, because we know something they don’t know. Actually our attitude should be that of humbleness because we have been so blessed to have the Truth of the Word of God revealed to us. God has asked us to be His Bride how humbling to receive such an honor! Humbleness isn’t being a mouse, humbleness is recognizing your position in response to the position you have placed God and others in. It is having our priorities correctly placed.

This comes back to the Golden Rule, “treat others as you want to be treated!” If I was in their place, how would I want me to act or react? Doing so will go a long ways to bringing about the results I desire in this situation. Why? Because spirits beget like spirits!

Stephen could have became angry, justifiably so. However, he prayed for those who were murdering him and Paul was converted. Jesus could have called a legion of angels, or more, and destroyed all those who desired to kill him. Instead, he reacted with love and mercy! You and I are the result. Nothing strengthens a relationship more than love and mercy!

Just a thought!

God Bless!

No comments: