Friday, December 19, 2008

How's Your Hearing?

Several years ago I was given a new Bible by a Bible Book store that I frequented. It was newly published and they wanted local Pastors to check this new Bible out and give them an opinion about it. Well, I am a big book fan and a bigger Bible fan, I have a small collection of each, so readily accepted the offer. I am a bigger fan of free!

I took the Bible home and at my first opportunity excitedly sat down and began to read. I first went to favorite passages and read each of them. I then just began to thumb through it and read different passages that caught my attention. In doing so, I came across a passage that surprised me. I quickly picked up my worn King James, Thompson Chain to verify what I was reading. Although I had read the passage many times and had even used it in different messages I had never seen it on this wise.

For many months I had been seeking God to know more of Him. In this time and endeavor God had been instilling in me a greater love for His Word. He had awakened an appetite to learn all I could of Him. He had been showing me that if I didn’t have a great love for the Word of God I could not have a great love for Him because He and His Word are inseparable.

During this time period I had several friends, along with others that I had known and respected, who had walked away from the Truth they had once held and preached. I am not talking about adjustments but I am referring complete rejection of these Truth. The question had often come to my mind, why was this happening. The prayer had often come from my heart to my lips, “God I want to protect my love for Truth, show me how to keep this from happening to me.” When I read the above referred to passage I felt God had answered my prayer and given me some insight and direction for my life.

Jesus is teaching on the seaside. He is giving good, basic instructions to His followers. These were instructions that dealt with the basics of a relationship with God. He talks of the Kingdom of God and the importance of the Word of God in our lives. While sharing these principles he makes a statement which is what caught my attention, let me share:

“If any man have ears to hear, let him hear. And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given. For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath.” (Mark 4:23-25)

Now, before I talk to you about what I felt God showed me in this passage, let me share this from the Bible that I was reading when it caught my attention:

“Anyone who is willing to hear should listen and understand! And be sure to pay attention to what you hear. The more you do this, the more you will understand — and even more, besides. To those who are open to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But to those who are not listening, even what they have will be taken away from them." (Mark 4:23-25 NLT)

What a powerful statement. We are often told to listen. We are often told to take heed how we hear. We are often told that when we give we will be blessed in receiving. However, I had never connected all of these together. I had never noticed, before this time, Jesus links listening, understanding to a closer relationship with Him.

In fact Jesus tells us to be willing to listen and understand. We need to have a hunger for the Word of God. We need to have a desire to learn more of Him through His Word. We need to be careful and give close consideration to what we are hearing. Along with these instructions there are some assurances or even promises, notice:

1. The more we listen, understand and pay attention the more we will understand.
2. By being open to His teachings He will give us more understanding.
3. By not being open to His teachings we will lose what we have already learned from Him.

When I had read this and spent some time thinking on it, I became very thoughtful in my soul. I came to realize that God was answering my prayer and question at the same time. He was assuring me that if I wanted to know Him better and wanted a greater relationship with Him it would come through a desire for His Word. By loving His Word and learning of Him I would acquire a greater understanding of Him. How awesome! This was an assertion there was a way to get closer to Him and that was through His Word.

The answer to the question of why people were walking away from the Truth they had once embraced was also given. It was simply that somewhere along the road they had lost their love for Truth, for the Word of God. Because they were not careful how they heard, they lost what they had. Because they didn’t have a hunger and desire for the Word of God, the Truth they had received was gradually removed from their lives. Let me give you an example of a couple of passages of scripture.

In 2 Thessalonians 2:10-12 Paul warns us that in the last days before the second coming of God we should be very careful to guard what we are hearing. Caution should be used in what we embrace as Truth. If we fail to love Truth, God Himself will send a great deceit that they would believe a lie and be damned.

There is a very sad and shocking story shared with us in the closing chapter of 1 Kings. Jehoshaphat, king of Judah has joined forces with Ahab, king of Israel against their common enemy Syria. Before going into battle Jehoshaphat asks for a prophet of the Lord to give them direction. Ahab calls his prophets but Jehoshaphat wanted a prophet of the Lord. Ahab said there was only one around but didn’t like the man because he never had anything good to say to him. However, it being insisted, he sent for Micaiah the prophet.

The prophets of Ahab all prophesied Israel would route the Syrians and win the battle. When Micaiah was brought before the Kings, he was instructed by the messenger to likewise say good things. Micaiah did as the others and said good things but was rebuked and told to say what God had told him to say. He told this story, please pay attention it is very sobering: “God was having counsel with the host of heaven and He asked who shall persuade Ahab to go to Ramoth-gilead that he might die there, as had been prophesied? Several came before Him with suggestions until a spirit came before the Lord and said, ‘I have a way to persuade him! I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ The Lord said that would persuade him and the Lord put a lying spirit in the mouths of the prophets of Ahab.” Ahab believed the prophets, disguised himself and went into battle. A random arrow, shot into the air, pierced his armor and killed Ahab in that battle. He died just as prophesied, because he did not love truth, but loved what made him feel and look good.

Without a love for Truth we will be destroyed. If we fail to take heed to how we hear, we are seeking destruction. This is not a time to walk away from the Truth of the Word of God. Today is a day, more than any before, when we need to embrace Truth, we need to love Truth.
I desire a greater love for Truth. I desire and purpose to be careful to what I listen to. God give me a greater understanding for your Word and a greater knowledge of you!

Just a thought!

God Bless

No comments: