Sunday, December 25, 2011

Shoes of the Gospel of Peace

Our first inclination when we sense danger is to run and hide. We want to flee the threat of danger! Our pulse begins to race! Our adrenalin begins to pump! Fear grips our heart! The first thought we have is to make a retreat and save ourselves.

Fear is a controlling, amazing thing. The cause of fear doesn’t even have to be real, it can be something we have imagined or someone has told us. Experiences can cause fear in our lives that are either real or imagined. Fear will control you. Let me give you an example.

I was driving home from Church one Sunday with my mother. We exited the Interstate and came to a stop sign at an intersection. Across from where we sat, about a hundred feet away and to our right, we could see the shore of a lake. My mother looked at the lake and said, “That makes my stomach hurt!”

Not sure what she was referring to, I asked, “What are you talking about?” To this she replied, “That water! Looking at it makes my stomach hurt!”

Now I was very curious how the lake’s water could make her stomach hurt, so I asked her. To this she replied, “Well, when I was two years old I almost drowned. So when I look at water, it makes my stomach hurt.”

I was surprised and said, “Mom, you can’t even remember when you were two years old. How can that experience make you afraid of water to the point it makes your stomach hurt to look at it? You are just going on what someone told you.”

Mom replied, “I don’t care! It makes my stomach hurt to look at water.” I then began to recall how afraid she had been all of my life whenever water was involved. She had never, in my lifetime, gone swimming. In fact, I don’t ever remember her going wading or standing in the waves at the ocean. When we were kids, we would beg to go swimming at the river. When mom would finally give in and would take us we could only get in the water up to our knees. I was eighteen years old when I learned to swim. A fear that someone had told her about, had controlled her life for seventy-five years.

The same thing happens to us spiritually. We often deal with fears that things that we have experienced in our past have caused. Sometimes the enemy of our soul will whisper lies in our ears that will breed fears into our lives. Our imaginations begin to expand on the lies, making them larger and more real in our minds to the point fear controls us.

Paul tells us, “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” (2 Tim 1:7 KJV)


John also writes and tells us, “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.” (1 John 4:18 KJV)

Fear is the root of so much of our spiritual troubles. It is the cause of much of the conflict we have with our brothers and sisters in the Lord. We can find ourselves going through life responding to the fears of what others think about us. We are afraid of what someone else will do or say if we dress a certain way or fail to respond in a certain way. Too often we find ourselves bound by things we are sure others are saying about us. Fear and condemnation can blind us until we become helpless.

When fear sets in it brings torment! Torment will result in the victim becoming self centered. Not because they are egotistical! This happens because they become consumed by the fear that has overtaken their lives. Everything becomes centered on this fear and how it affects them.

The “Good News” is that God hasn’t given us the spirit of fear. He has given us the “Spirit of Power.” Power is the opposite of fear. Fear leaves you feeling weak. Fear causes you to feel vulnerable and helpless. However, power is strength, ability and authority. “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you,” (Acts 1:8a KJV).

The “Good News” is that God hasn’t given us the spirit of fear. He has given us the “Spirit of Love.” Love is the opposite of fear. Fear causes you to feel alone. It will make you feel that no one cares and no one is listening to your cries for help. Fear will make you feel that no one will be there to take care of you. Love, on the other hand, is the assurance that someone is there and they do care. It is the knowledge that there is someone you can call to and they will respond and wrap their arms around you in a loving embrace. Peter admonishes us, “Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.” (1Peter 5:7 KJV)

The “Good News” is that God hasn’t given us the spirit of fear. He has given us the “Spirit of a Sound Mind.” Several translations use the word discipline here. A mind that is undisciplined will cause fear. They allow the imagination to be in control. However, when we control or discipline our mind, fear is no longer able to rule over us. Paul admonishes us, “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ”; (2 Cor. 10:5 KJV).

When I recognize that I have protection from fear I am free to walk in peace. I will enjoy peace that is beyond understanding in my life. I will know peace with my fellow man. It is then that I will be free to spread the “Gospel of Peace” in a world that is searching for peace. As Jesus said in His last words to His disciples, “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me” (Acts 1:8 KJV).

Paul encourages us in to, “Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” (Phil 4:6-7 NLT)

(An excerpt from the second chapter of the book I am presently writing.)

No comments: