Thursday, October 14, 2010

How's Your Thinking Been?

Have you ever read a passage of scripture, or maybe just a verse, many times and one day read it only to realize you haven’t read it that way before? This happens to me on a frequent basis. In fact it just happened the other night. Let me share what happened.

Jared and I had been having a discussion. We had been talking about some different things, some of which were happening in our lives and some that were not happening. After several minutes of talking I told Jared, "I really feel like I need to spend some time in prayer, will you join me?" Of course he joined me and we enjoyed a good time of discussion with God about our concerns.

Many months ago, while in a prayer meeting, a passage of scripture had come very forcefully to my mind. I had looked it up and the verses had become directive and favorites in my personal arsenal of scriptures. In fact I wrote an article about the incident titled, "My Friend Said Don’t Be Careful!" As I was praying this passage came to mind and I felt to share it with Jared.

As I began to read the verses I was inspired that God would again use these verses for a reminder of the peace He offers and assures us of. Only this time I did not stop where I usually stop but continued reading the next several verses. That is when I realized I had missed something on the earlier occasions of reading the verses. In fact I had been missing something here all my life.

In Philippians chapter four and verses six and seven the writer Paul tells us, "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Another word for careful is worry which is the main thing I needed to hear on the previous occasion. God, or my friend, told me to stop worrying!

Worry is simply the wringing of your hands wondering what you are going to do or what is going to happen. I have been around some worriers in my life. A really good worrier can create monsters out of nothing. Their minds will make mountains out of ant hills! It is the result of an undisciplined mind and Paul said we are not to worry but to take our needs to God in prayer. We are to ask of God, with thankfulness, those things which we are concerned about. When we do this, God will allow a peace to come upon us that will protect our emotions and our thoughts. To me this is exciting!

Here is where my last reading became even more interesting. I have found it to be true that when we pray we often undo our prayers because of a lack of faith which is evident through our verbal conversation. We ask God to meet a financial need, then talk about how poor we are, what a struggle we are in and how much we lack. We ask God for healing and then talk about all of the pain and suffering we are experiencing. Our conversation destroys our faith and also negates the peace of God which God has given us. Lookout, here come the ulcers!

Paul continues with his instruction in Philippians chapter four and verse eight by saying, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." HOLD THE BUS! I had never read this passage with the passages mentioned earlier. What a new thought this produced!

Jared mentioned how powerful scriptural principles will be to us if we read them as they are written, in the proper context. I have often read and quoted verse eight and given instruction that we should use it as a guide for living or thinking. However, I have never thought of it as a guide for believing!

So basically Paul is telling us to stop worrying. He is telling us to pray in a certain way. He is telling us that God will send an unexplainable peace to protect our hearts and minds. Then he is telling us to think on things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous and praise worthy. Wow! So instead of destroying my faith and tearing down what I am actually trying to accomplish, I will be strengthening them through this change of attitude. I will be continuing to reside in peace because I will be erecting a wall of protection around my heart and mind by my conduct.

Paul underlines this principle in verse nine when he said, "Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you." Do what we know is right. Follow Paul in as he follows Christ. Listen to the Word and apply it to your life. Doing these things will result in "the God of peace" being with us.

In a nutshell we need to stop worrying! Bring our needs to God in prayer, asking of Him with thanksgiving. We can enjoy the peace in the midst of turmoil knowing God will protect our emotions and thinking. We are thinking on the good things and pushing aside the bad worrisome things. We keep doing what we have heard to do from the Word of God. As a result God will be with us. God will, I know I already said it but I have to say it again, be with us!

Just remember, It’s just a thought!

No comments: