Sunday, November 9, 2008

Grace and or Power?

Have you ever boasted about being weak? Not many of us have because we know that it is important in life to be strong. It is to our benefit to have power and be able to live independent lives. Yet, in our spiritual lives it is actually to our benefit to be weak. Here, take a look at this.

The Bible gives us some insight on power and weakness that we would do well to observe. Paul has a problem. We don’t know what it is, and to be honest, although there have been many debates about Paul’s thorn in the flesh, I don’t even care what it is. Not being rude, just don’t want either of us to get sidetracked. Paul has asked God for help and God answers him after three times and says no. However, God did give Paul an explanation with His answer. Listen to this:

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Cor. 12:9

The thing that caught my attention the other night as I read this was Paul’s reply to what God said to him. Paul said he would gladly glory in all of his weaknesses so the power of Christ would rest upon him. Please stop for a moment and read the passage again. He said he would take the weakness so the POWER of God could rest upon Him.

We hear this passage quoted often. It is one of those scriptures that are only partially quoted and it comes your way when you are going through an unpleasant time. “Oh, it will be alright, remember Paul said His grace is sufficient…” like that is going to make it all go away and you will be better. Please excuse my sarcasm but I do have a problem with “Christian clichés” that are always good enough for other people but never for ourselves.

Before I digress further, let me say, the scripture is powerful and examined and used with love and care is a blessing to those in need. What I noticed in this passage that blessed me was Paul seemed to make “grace” and “power” synonymous. God said His “grace” was enough and Paul said he would take weakness so God’s “power” would rest upon him. If you read the rest of what Paul says in this passage it makes perfect sense:

” Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”2 Cor 12:9-10, KJV

Paul is saying I take pleasure because it is an opportunity for God’s power to work in me. I am glad I am weak, so I don’t rely on my power but on God’s power. I don’t rely on my strength but on God’s strength. I don’t rely on my abilities but on God’s ability.

What I am trying to say is grace is a little more than just unmerited favor with God. Grace is that but it is also that enabling favor that God bestows upon His children. It is the power and authority to be one with Him. Not requiring that life be perfect in the way we expect it. You know, live happily ever after! However, being content with the state of life that we find ourselves in because we have confidence in the grace of God that will enable us to be victorious no matter what life sends out way.

Let me quickly share an example that I saw with my own eyes. My Father took a tumble, because of his disease, and broke his neck. The doctor’s said he would be paralyzed, probably never have use of his hands and most definitely never walk again. They recommended surgery to relieve pressure to the injured site and also in the chance it might help the paralysis. After a month in the hospital going through rehab he left doctors, therapists and nurses all amazed because he was already starting to walk and had the use of his hands. He said it isn’t me, it is my God.

We took him to church using a medical hoist much like a mechanics “cherry picker.” We would lift him out of a wheel chair and maneuver it to place him in the cab of a pickup and reverse the process at the church. Within a few months he stood up one Sunday night and walked around the church in his own victory march. He said it isn’t me, it is my God.

He asked a friend to come to church with him. The friend promised and every Sunday morning he would be at church. Why? Because his buddy who was frail and in failing health asked him to come. This friend ended up getting the Holy Ghost. He gloried in his weakness that the power of God might rest upon him. Was it easy? No! However, when he had finished his course and ran his race he did say it was worth it if one person saw the glory of God through my life.

I guess I will have to believe with Paul. When I am in the midst of affliction, when life has thrown its best at me, I don’t want to be relying on my strength. I want His grace to be enough for me! I want His power to rest upon me. Yes His Grace is sufficient!

Just a thought! God Bless

No comments: